Sunday 15 October 2023

Wish (2023)

 Walt Disney Studios released the official trailer for their next animated film Wish, so be careful what you wish for. View trailer below.






In the Kingdom of Rosas, an island nation off the coast of Spain, a 17-year-old woman named Asha sees a darkness in King Magnifico that no one else does. She eventually tries to make a heartfelt appeal to the stars in a desperate situation as an outcome of this. Soon after, Star, a real star from the sky, grants Asha's request. The star's mystical ability to fulfill wishes is discovered after it disappears from sight. In order to have something greater than what they currently have and for the people of Rosas to have their dreams come true, Asha and Star must work together to bring down the evils that are emerging in Rosas and fight for a better future.



So when this picture of Magnifico and news of who was playing him dropped earlier this week, some of my friends commented how weird it was to hear him play a villain. I was the only one expressing doubt about him being the bad guy, though. Sure, Pine’s played douchey princes for Disney on two separate occasions but I wasn’t gonna make assumptions based off a single image.


Wish obviously has a Disney vibe to it, especially with regard to the musical moments, the evil villain, the animal sidekick, and the strong young female protagonist. I do appreciate that Disney is once more "embracing" its distinctive brand rather than attempting to imitate or emulate another company. There is a lot of fresh material in this new trailer, including additional plot details. Finally, I'm really interested to see how Wish performs at the box office and how audiences and critics will react to this film.



I’ve hoped that Disney would create a full animated feature blending traditional and CGI mediums in a beautiful, unique way, and now it seems we’re finally getting it. Look at that last picture, it’s like a watercolor illustration! I’ve been keeping tabs on Wish since the D23 debut because the potential here is staggering. Yesterday morning Disney released the first teaser trailer, and if you’ve read this far then you’re probably wondering what I think about it. After all, viscerally reacting to trailers and making bold assumptions before knowing the full context is nothing new on the internet, right?



Asha’s goat Valentino eats some of the sparkly stardust coming off the star which gives him the ability to talk…in a very unfitting deep voice. I get that’s the joke but it’s another thing I’ll have to grow accustomed to. Here’s a funny story, though: I initially didn’t like Baymax’s voice because the promo shorts and teaser for Big Hero 6 worked so well with him as a silent character. Then it wound up growing on me when I saw the film and now I can’t imagine him without it. Perhaps this could be a similar situation.

And who voices Valentino, you may ask? None other than Disney’s answer to Pixar’s John Ratzenberger, Alan Tudyk. It’s all good, but another thing comments have slightly spoiled for me because people are saying it’s the exact voice Tudyk uses for the character of Clayface on Harley Quinn. I admit despite having HBO Max (or is it just “Max” now, make up your damn mind, Zaslav) for little over a year now, I haven’t made the time to watch Harley Quinn yet (though I want to!). Unfortunately I may have to put it off a little longer to make sure I also don’t hear Clayface coming out of this goat’s mouth as well.

Despite all my feedback I'm still so excited for Wish. As if I need to continue talking about the style, I have to wonder if all the experimentation they did in the Short Circuit series on Disney Plus was building up to this. I'm interested in seeing more of the way the aesthetic, the voices, and what little we know about the plot are all going. 


Wish  arrives in theaters on November 22nd, 2023



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Come to Life, Come to Pace88

No comments:

Post a Comment